What to do when your ex refuses to comply with your parenting schedule?

Once you’ve completed the process of going through a divorce, settling on child support, and agreeing to a parenting schedule, you’d think you can finally move forward and start your new life. Unfortunately, this isn’t always the case.

When you’re facing the frustrating reality that your ex simply won’t comply with your legally binding agreements, whether that be alimony payments or a parenting schedule, you have options. Massachusetts residents can file a complaint for contempt to address non-compliance with temporary orders and final judgments.

Understanding the ins and out of contempt proceedings is an essential part of litigation in the Probate and Family Court, which is why working with an attorney is vital. Anyone found violating a court order, such as failing to pay child support, denying parenting time, etc., may be adjudicated by the court to be in contempt of the court of an order.

To begin the process, a Complaint for Contempt must be filed through the Probate and Family Court that issued the order alleged to being violated. Next, a court clerk issues a Contempt Summons which instructs the defendant when they are expected in court. A deputy sheriff or constable will then serve the defendant with a copy of the Complaint for Contempt and Contempt Summons.

The burden of proof in contempt actions falls upon the plaintiff. For help understanding your options in situations wherein the other party is failing to comply with a court order, contact our law office today.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Call Now Button
Email Us
close slider

Get A Case Evaluation

We are happy to provide a consultation to all first time clients.
Please complete the form below and we will contact you.